[SPORK] Dem Dems

Tom tomwhore@slack.net
Wed, 19 Mar 2003 21:06:26 -0500 (EST)

Listening to NPRs report on how the critical democratic presidential
candidates are falling into various lines now that the war is on.

Question, do you respect more someone who knows when to shut up and lob
softballs, or those that stay the course and be consistent?

Two parties, one roll of TP for my bungholio...

Which brings us to this weeks South Dakota In The Spotlight.

Tom Daschle has taken tons of heat for speaking his mind on the whole
issue. Did he pull punches, kiss ass and change course because "thats how
you play the game"? Nope, he played the other game...bang bang

Some of what Tom for SD said was "[Bush]failed so miserably at diplomacy
that we're now forced to war."

The uproar followed.

 House Speaker Dennis Hastert said that came "mighty close" to
comforting the enemy.

 "[Daschle] is essentially blaming President Bush for the fact that we may
be on the verge of war," said White House press secretary Ari Fleischer
[1]

Ari you ignorant idiot. What next, you gonna tell us we still dont buy off
other countries?

"Q: Senator Daschle, as you know, some Republicans are saying very harsh
things about your statements yesterday. Senator Frist said that to suggest
that the president might have cost lives by failed diplomacy is
irresponsible. And Speaker Hastert said that your statement came close to
lending support to our adversary. How do you respond to those reactions to
your statement?

A: SEN. DASCHLE: Well, I stand by my statement. I don't know that anyone
in this country could view what we've seen so far as a diplomatic success.
A diplomatic success is what we saw in 1991. A diplomatic success is
getting a broad coalition of countries. We had nearly 20 countries in
1991. A diplomatic success is having 200,000 international troops present
instead of the 225,000 U.S. troops, which are present today." [2]

[1] http://www.nypost.com/news/nationalnews/71233.htm
[2] http://www.cnsnews.com/ViewPolitics.asp?Page=%5CPolitics%5Carchive%5C200303%5CPOL20030318c.html