[SPORK] Loving The Troops

Tom tomwhore@slack.net
Thu, 20 Mar 2003 13:40:24 -0500 (EST)

This whole thread is much akin to the "hate the game not da playa"
fajiza. Thing is , there is no game with out da playa.

I know a few currently serving armed forces people. All but one signed up
for reasons other than fighting and breaking things, the two main jobs of
the armed forces.  Now they are in harms way.

Yea, they are playas in da game, but not all of them are playing dat dang
game by the same rules.

Bad carrer moves? Maybe. Culpable of slaughter, mayyhem and destruction?

One of them I know is there as a medical person who will probably do as
much as possible to help those on either side in times of need and will no
sooner kill a person in uniform than they would in civies.

There are a lot of ways to be part of the war, you dont have to sign up on
the front lines and fire a rifle/cruise missle/chemical agent. And lest we
not forget, not all armed conflicts are wrong. [1] There are times and
places where might helps not make right, but enforce right. The sad fact
is Humans as a whole still are creatures of physical force, both in in
respect for and abuse of. To ignore this fact is to be blinded from
eventuality.

I think  folks need to look around at what they do for a living
and ask if it helps in the war effort and even in the efforts to close
down the  great experiment of a democratic america. Culpability is an ever
spreading  condition, its not jsut the obvious children of the armed
forces.

You a contractor for a firm doing DOD work? You make the code that makes
the missle fly better? Made a better way to communicate on the
battlefield? Making it easier for law enforcement folks to mine data?
Created a cool gizmo to help "monitor" net traffic for enforcement needs?

Maybe it safe to say there is a little bit of da playa in many of us,
wether we like to admit it or not, and in small or large ways we help keep
dat damn game going.

Peace, Love and Understanding
(whats so funny)

-tomwsmf

[1]  This current one, for
instance, is not so much a blunder of aim as it is a total and disasterous
blunder of planning. Sadman should have been taken out back in GulfWar Sr.
, there should never have been a GulfWar Jr. Stabilizing the area back in
the late 80's would have gone a long way in lessening the then growing
terrorist acitivites. The Cole, a the mess in the South African Embasies
and the thousands slaughters in Tobin Plaza might well have been avoided.
I know that hindsightis 20/20 but these things were being said back then.