[SPORK] Loving The Troops

Russell Turpin deafbox@hotmail.com
Thu, 20 Mar 2003 18:40:52 +0000

Kelley <kelley@interpactinc.com>:
>it is truly absurd to think these kids are signing up to kill and be
>killed.

I respect the choice to enter the military, but
this whole notion that recruits have no idea
what it's about is a hill of beans. Now yeah,
there is some marketing involved. But let's get
real. (1) Every kid has seen plenty of monuments
to veterans lost in wars. (2) Every kid has seen
plenty of movies showing war. (3) Every kid
takes history classes which discuss wars. If
they didn't pay any attention, shame on them.
(4) Every kid has seen disabled veterans.
(5) The kids in ROTC drill with (disabled)
rifles. What are rifles for? I'm sure I could
list a (6), (7), and (8) if I gave it a few
moments thought.

Now yeah, I understand the recruiter's job is
to sell, and part of that is highlighting the
promise while downplaying the risk. Yeah,
teenagers are full of piss and vinegar, and
none believe they will be the one to spend the
rest of their days in a wheelchair. But some
small rational part of their mind has to know
that happens in war. If they fail to connect
the dots, are blinded by the promise, and
ignore the risks, it's not because they didn't
have opportunity to know the risks. We no
longer impress sailors or draft soldiers. They
were all eighteen when they signed up to the
task. I'll give them the respect they're due.
But all this crying that they're just duped
kids is pretty demeaning. To them.