[SPORK] Loving The Troops

Jeff Bone jbone@deepfile.com
Thu, 20 Mar 2003 13:18:53 -0600

On Thursday, Mar 20, 2003, at 13:03 US/Central, James Rogers wrote:

> From: Jeff Bone
>>
>> Let's do a little bit of reality calibration, here:  most of "the
>> troops" are kids from relatively poor families who signed up
>> because it
>> was their ticket to going to college / getting started in life /
>> traveling abroad and seeing the world, something they couldn't have
>> afforded otherwise.  Most of them probably - naively, perhaps - never
>> expected to fire a live round or have one fired at them in a conflict
>> situation.
>

> This is also an incorrect and simplistic view.

James, I don't know why you're arguing w/ me --- you basically just
reiterated exactly my argument in every detail.  Including the point
about live fire, which is what you claim is "incorrect and simplistic"
even though you make the very same point in your own bits.

The expectation of avoiding combat --- AS YOU POINT OUT --- is entirely
reasonable:  most people who serve a stint or two in the military never
see combat.  You're far more likely to shoot somebody / be shot at as a
cop in even a medium-sized city than you are in the U.S. military.

jb