[SPORK] Loving The Troops

Eugen Leitl eugen@leitl.org
Thu, 20 Mar 2003 20:44:34 +0100 (CET)

On Thu, 20 Mar 2003, Jeff Bone wrote:

> Bottom line is that given the sweet deals we as a society make to entice
> them to join...  for many of them entering the military was the best
> option they had.  Period.  End of story.  Are you really going to blame
> them for pursuing their own interests, for taking perhaps the one option
> they had to avoid working in a supermarket all their lives?

I'm not blaming them, up to a point. I'm blaming people who for whatever
idiotic reason say 'whatever my opinion of this before, now is the time to
unanimously stand behind the administration' and 'support the troops,
regardless of what they're going to do'.

Bullcrap. Cut out the pheromone social insect synch. The vote might have
been rigged, but this administration has been voted for by a substantial
fraction, possibly a majority, who chose to overlook the hidden agenda.
There seems to be considerable support in a considerable fraction of the
populace, possibly a majority. The soldiers signed up for whatever they're
doing voluntarily.

The blame allocation pattern is quite evenly distributed here.