[SPORK] Loving The Troops

Eugen Leitl eugen@leitl.org
Thu, 20 Mar 2003 21:41:37 +0100 (CET)

On Thu, 20 Mar 2003, kelley wrote:

> your words stand:  "I would understand if this was about kids pressed into
> service, threatened with jail or worse. These people signed up for kill and
> being killed (little danger, in this campaign, things are bound to become more
> difficult as the empire expands) voluntary."

Which part of "Why, exactly, do you love the troops? Because they will go
out, and kill people, if so told? For money, perks, peer prestige, thrill
of the kill?" (which you omitted) you fail to understand?

> you see them as voluntary killers, who consciously signed up to kill and
> be killed rather than recognizing that their choice, just like the
> choices we all make in life are made for many complex reasons. to reduce
> that complexity to one issue and one issue alone is absurd.

It would be absurd indeed. So don't. Albeit diminished, this list is not
nearly as badly retarded as the average, and even the average list is
lightminutes away from your average hick bar. We should be able to handle
some complexity here.

> i get one of your responses on the list. i don't need a second with the
> cc. kelley

Procmail is your friend. Pine yours isn't, but my moving to mutt on iBook
shortly. Keystroke lantency over loaded ssh link makes one sound retarded,
anyway </Dr00l>