[SPORK] Loving The Troops

JS Kelly jskelly@jskelly.com
Thu, 20 Mar 2003 13:03:18 -0800 (PST)

there's one other thing which i wish i had remembered to include in my
prior post, because this thread probably deserves to die (sorry for
prolonging the agony, then).

there is one other reason that people join the military, and that is as a
public service, because they believe in our freedoms and rights as much as
everyone on this list does -- and they believe that these freedoms are
worth fighting and even dying for -- just as the founding fathers did, and
just as most of us probably believe. that is, if our nation were attacked
by some hostile power, i think that most of us would be willing to fight
for our homes, our families, and our neighbors. and most of us would be
very thankful that there is a group of people willing to do this on our
behalf. so, sure -- many signed up to 'kill or be killed' -- with the
expectation that any conflict they were asked to take part in would be
worth it.

that these volunteers signed up to protect the rest of us in case of
conflict is something that we should all be thankful for. that the
government is misusing this resource is something we should protest.

-jsk