The US military's first purpose is not to wage war (was: Loving The Troops)

Russell Turpin deafbox@hotmail.com
Thu, 20 Mar 2003 21:34:28 +0000

I wrote:
>>My point isn't to paint everything sweetness and light, but to enlarge the
>>scope by which people sometimes look at the military, especially during
>>the time of a controversial war. One can reasonably hold both (a) that
>>THIS war is misguided, or even that most
>>US wars have been misguided, yet (b) the US
>>military serves critical and legitimate purpose, and service in it is
>>honorable.

Eugen Leitl:
>The last paragraph was competely gibberish.

Really?

I could understand someone disagreeing, for
example, because they think the think the US
is on a completely wrong course, not just in
this war, but in the entirety of its national
policies and interests. But gibberish? You
don't understand what I wrote?