"National state view", (was: [SPORK] Loving The Troops)

Russell Turpin deafbox@hotmail.com
Thu, 20 Mar 2003 21:56:39 +0000

Eugen Leitl:
>Why are you limiting this to a purely national state view .. People forming
>clusters is something which needs to be eroded, not encouraged.

Maybe. As long as I've been political attuned,
there has been a lot of talk about breaking
out of the nation-state paradigm, whether by
free-floating cities, or cosmopolitan
organizations that gradually supersede
nations, or the grand and glorious revolution
that finally ushers in anarchism. Most of
these views are utopic, not just in the sense
of describing how wonderful things might be
if nations were superseded, but in the sense
of having absolutely no practical way to get
from here to there, relying just on the
self-interest and other natural motivators of
people living within a national framework.

I would never make a moral argument for
nations from some kind of first principles.
They seem more a pragmatic necessity than a
moral ideal. If you think otherwise, then the
thing to do is describe a probable path for
establishing a desirable community that lies
outside national auspices. I might move! Until
then, I don't think there is much ammunition
for criticizing those who take nations into
account.