The US military's first purpose is not to wage war (was: Loving The Troops)

Russell Turpin deafbox@hotmail.com
Thu, 20 Mar 2003 22:19:06 +0000

Eugen Leitl:
>These 'legitimate' and 'honorable' tokens just crashed my parser.

That's unfortunate, for someone who reads
English. People form evaluative and moral
theories for judging group behavior and
individual behavior. Note, that previous
sentence is a positive statement of fact,
about human behavior, not a normative
claim. I wasn't using those terms in some
tacit reference to a singular normative
theory, but showing how a broad range of
such theories didn't fit some tacit moral
assumptions that were underlying the
thread, a range that many people here
would consider reasonable, though you
might not by virtue of your antithesis to
nationhood. Even so, you should have been
able to understand what I wrote.

That last paragraph is more difficult, as
is always the case when you kick up one
linguistic level to explain what was
happening in the object sentences of
the analysis. But even it doesn't sink to
the level of gibberish. I hope. ;-)