[SPORK] The rhetoric of liberation...

Jeff Bone jbone@deepfile.com
Fri, 21 Mar 2003 08:50:41 -0600

Sigh.  The more things change...

=93To stop is dangerous; to recede ruin=94; President Bush justifying =
war=20
against Iraq? No; an Indian proconsul in 1805 defending the East India=20=

Company=92s policy of pre-emptive hammerblows against any native ruler=20=

who showed signs of intransigence.

=93Britain has always been the one friend of the oppressed. It has been=20=

our policy for generations, and we are known the world over as a race=20
who love freedom and hate the oppressor.=94 British Prime Minister Tony=20=

Blair outlining his vision of liberated Iraq? No, a fictional officer=20
in Somaliland 100 years ago, explaining the humanitarian mission of=20
empire in a novel for schoolboys.

	http://www.arabnews.com/Article.asp?ID=3D24016

--

We have seen the enemy, and he is us.  We are the bad guys.

jb

---

When important issues affecting the life of an individual are decided=20
by somebody else, it makes no difference to the individual whether that=20=

somebody else is a king, a dictator, or society at large.

	-James Taggart