Q: Was British rule bad or good for India? (was: The rhetoric of liberation...)

Rishab Aiyer Ghosh rishab@dxm.org
Fri, 21 Mar 2003 17:24:09 +0000

let's say the impact of british rule on india was too large, over too large
a period of time, to answer that question either way. "was it bad" is easy
to demonstrate with examples of the usual colonial brutality; "was it good"
generally relies on "where would india be were it not for british rule"
scenarios which are impossible to prove, one way or another.

certainly, there are positive attributes to india today that arguably owe
something to british rule (english, democracy, common law); whether things
would have been worse _without_ british rule is impossible to say, but it is
also easy to falsify any causal effect of british rule, since other countries
they ruled haven't ended up with india's democracy.

-rishab