S & A in progress i.e., people burning alive right now, people being crushed to death right now

Dan Brickley daniel.brickley@bristol.ac.uk
Fri, 21 Mar 2003 16:05:06 -0500

* Eugen Leitl <eugen@leitl.org> [2003-03-21 21:44+0100]
> On Fri, 21 Mar 2003, johnhall wrote:
>

> > Yes.
> >
> > And it is a good thing.
>
> I sincerely wish the same good thing upon you. There's some faint hope it
> could happen, but I'm not holding my breath.
>
> How does it feel to be evil, John? Does it give you a warm green glow
> inside?

So I've been thinking about this on the FoRK vs SPORK front. Much as we all
like to believe we're interested, well rounded indivuduals for whom
technology is just part of a bigger picture, blah blah blah... Maybe we
should all stick to talking about computers, so we don't have to deal with
realising we don't like each others views to the extent that we don't
like each other.

When we're playing the Mac vs PC, or Vi vs Emacs game, it's easy enough
to set aside our differences. When we're talking about wishing bloody deaths on
people we've never met, the differences are harder to reconcile. I don't want
to hang out here and geek about computers with people who think the
Iraq slaughter is a good thing, that 'our troups' are fighting for
freedom, that this is a War of liberation fought for pure-hearted reasons.

Maybe it's time for FoRK to grow up and fall apart... Maybe tech was the
only thing we had in common, and it's too late to undo things now our ugly
differences are out in the open?

Dan