[META FORK] Diversity or Desolation? Why Fork is more human than human.

Bill Humphries bill@whump.com
Fri, 21 Mar 2003 13:50:25 -0800

On Friday, March 21, 2003, at 01:19 PM, Tom wrote:

> Maybe , just maybe, folks will opt to be fully themeselves togther
> rather
> than snivling pale faced short sighted fundementalists with self
> imposed
> blinders to sheild them from emotion, diverstity and humanity.

Learning to, at the least, peacefully coexist with those you have
differences is a basic skill. Learning how to work with them to do
things like establish businesses, create wealth, and work for the
community is a good skill to have.

I have a friend, she's a year-round resident of Martha's Vineyard
(hence not one of the l33t). She's been involved in feminist politics
and peace work since I was out of diapers. She sings in the community
chorus. When I'm spitting mad at some conservative policy or another,
and going on about those nogoodnik religous types and why don't they go
away and leave us in peace, she's gently reminded me that some of the
people in the Vinyard's community chorus are fundamentalist,
women-in-the-kitchen, G-D first types. But they ignore that when it
comes time to sing together, or go to a county board meeting and figure
out close to the metal things such as running the sewers and plowing
the roads.

Right now, FoRK has the feel of early 1990's Sarajevo: snipers in the
buildings, and mortars in the surrounding hills. Let's get back to
being cosmopolitan and glorious.

-- whump