[SPORK] Was Colonialism good or bad for the world? (was: Q: Was British rule bad or good for India? and before that: The rhetoric of liberation...)

Russell Turpin deafbox@hotmail.com
Sat, 22 Mar 2003 01:11:05 +0000

Rishab Aiyer Ghosh:
>after all, india is pretty much the _only_ example of a post-colonial
>continuous (less a couple of years) democracy, british or otherwise.

I'm assuming the US, Canada, Australia, New
Zealand, the Bahamas, and Bermuda are excluded,
since they are examples of true colonization,
rather than of colonial rule over an existing
population. But certainly there are other
British colonies that are today democratic:

Belize
Ireland
Singapore
Hong Kong (Maybe shouldn't count, any more.)

Lots of other islands, but it was, after all,
a sea-based empire. I'm excluding South Africa,
given its long history of apartheid and short
history since, and Guyana, given its short
history of open elections. Obviously, there are
no other examples as populous as India.