[SPORK] Something I REALLY want John Hall to Try To Understand

Jeff Bone jbone@deepfile.com
Sat, 22 Mar 2003 01:26:34 -0600

John,

I want you to get one tiny, simple little thought wedged into that
thick noggin, okay?  I'm telling you this because, simply by virtue of
being a FoRK, you have a certain second-hand whuffie.  And that counts
and will always count for something in my book, despite any
thick-headedness and insanity you display on this list.  (Goes for
everybody around these parts.  I'd be hypocritical if I didn't extend
that courtesy, as I desperately hope it's extended to me, too.  'Cuz I
have been plenty thickheaded and maybe even a bit insane myself on this
list from time to time. ;-)

Try to understand this:  MANY of us who are disgusted by what's going
on right now are disgusted at the means, not the end.  The question for
some of us is not whether this is a just war, but whether it was
justified.  Fine but important point of distinction.  I believe
deposing SH is the "right" thing to do.  But --- and here's the point,
pay attention:

Doing the "RIGHT" thing the "WRONG" way is still "WRONG."  The end does
not justify the means --- something most of us learned in elementary
school but which, apparently, many of us have forgotten.

The "WRONG" way in this respect is the process that led to this --- the
inept diplomacy, the shifting justifications, the lies and forged
evidence, the bluster and bullying, the inability to have a real
"conversation" about this on the international scale, the fact that war
was always a foregone conclusion, etc.  It's easy to draw the
conclusion that it's the wrong way to achieve the right goal;  simply
consider the precedent we're setting and the consequences that are
likely.  We've just rolled the whole globe back to the Law of the
Jungle on an international level.  Couple that with the fact that we're
creating unprecedented global ill-will towards us, and it's easy to see
that the new environment we've created is likely to have undesirable
consequences for all of us, for a long time.

Do you get this, at least?  Do you understand that this is the belief
structure a lot of the protest is coming from, and that it's a
reasonable and respectable belief structure, not something to be
castigated and mocked --- even (or especially) when your PoV has
"triumphed?"

I hope you at least understand my point, here.  The nationalist / Dr.
Laura / Rush etc. frenzy that's sweeping the country leads me to
believe that the rank-and-file right-wingers in this country are making
a really stupid and potentially long-lasting and divisive mistake,
lumping everybody that doesn't fully agree with what's happened *and
how it's happened* into this single, bullshit "evil, liberal,
cancer-to-society" camp.  That's just totally bogus, on all kinds of
dimensions.

jb