S & A in progress i.e., people burning alive right now, people being crushed to death right now

Jeff Bone jbone@deepfile.com
Sat, 22 Mar 2003 01:41:16 -0600

On Saturday, Mar 22, 2003, at 01:14 US/Central, johnhall wrote:

> Nope.  No flames, just halos and harps.  In fact the flames seem
> restricted to your friends in Bagdhad.

This is the kind of crap I'm talking about.  I have no friends in
Bagdhad --- either among the people or among the regime.

I'm not interested in defending SH.  I agree that he does not have the
right to do what he does.

But I also believe we did not win the right to do what we're doing.
There is a process in place by which we could have won that right ---
but we tried, and failed.  It was up to us to keep trying.  It was our
duty, our obligation to the world.  More to the point, it was our
obligation to ourselves to win that right before proceeding.

And that obligation trumps our obligation (if any) to the people of
Iraq.

We are operating outside of our own rights to prevent a tyrant from
operating outside of his.  That's called "hypocrisy" where I'm from.
And a lot of people in this world --- 44 or however many national
govt's notwithstanding --- recognize this hypocrisy when they see it.

Right thing.  Wrong way.  We lose.  However good our intents, however
noble the goals --- we do not occupy the moral high ground in this
matter.  Morals are consensual, not inherent --- and we failed to
operate within that consensual moral framework.

> That _is_ what you have been
> supporting, leaving the man in place.

Try hard to understand this:  the world isn't all black and white.  I'm
not supporting anything --- I'm OPPOSING the way we've gone about this.
  Not the same as SUPPORTING Saddam Hussein.  Casting things in that way
is called a "false dichotomy" and it's a logic error.

jb