FW: S & A in progress i.e., people burning alive right now, people being crushed to death right now

geege geege@barrera.org
Sat, 22 Mar 2003 11:02:56 -0800

the view from john's moral high horse.

-----Original Message-----
From: johnhall [mailto:johnhall@isomedia.com]
Sent: Friday, March 21, 2003 4:45 PM
To: 'geege'
Subject: RE: S & A in progress i.e., people burning alive right now,
people being crushed to death right now

> by the way, john, are you aware of the atrocities africans of many
nations
> are suffering at the hands of corrupt regimes?  do you feel equally
> compelled to "liberate" these africans?

Yes.

Just as I was aware of the atrocities committed throughout the history
of the Soviet Union.

Existence of these conditions mean that we are _entitled_ to liberate
them not _compelled_ or _required_ to do so.

In Iraq we had a moral entitlement to intervene but that isn't
sufficient.  You also have to figure in national interests, costs, and
likely outcomes.

In this case they all pointed in the same way.

I opposed Kosovo not because we were not properly entitled to stop the
atrocities but because I couldn't see a direct National interest.  There
was an interest for France and Germany, but they couldn't do the job.

In NK there is both a moral case for pre-emptive attack and some
National Interests there.  But the price would be horrendous (mostly for
our allies the ROKs and Japan.