The Ashcroft Memo

Sat, 22 Mar 2003 08:45:33 -0800

I think part of the problem is that political
forces on the opposite side of the fence are using
internal work products--ideas in progress essentially--in
the public context more and more.  There used to be
a level of courtesy that you would allow your
political opponent the opportunity to present their
idea before trying to pre-spin it.   I think the
national debate on healthcare was the first time that
pre-spin won, handcuffing even more the ability for
our representatives to try and creatively come up
with new governmental solutions and initiatives. You
can't run anything up a flagpole anymore.  The flag
gets stolen back at the cloth factory before it even
gets sewn together.

This is just a side effect.

Greg