"[Bush's] inarticulateness has become .. a national securitythreat for the US"

Russell Turpin deafbox@hotmail.com
Sat, 22 Mar 2003 17:46:21 +0000

Gregory Alan Bolcer:
>There's only been one serious diplomatic error. That was when US diplomats
>told Iraq that they are not concerned with internal border disputes which
>lead to the invasion of Kuwait. [More
>discussion of US-Iraq diplomacy.]

You're missing the author's point. He isn't
talking about US-Iraq diplomacy, but about US
diplomacy with the rest of the world, our allies
in particular. We made the Iraq dispute primarily
an issue of disarmament, and not about the
illegitimacy of Saddam's regime, the humanitarian
crisis internal to Iraq, and the dangers such
regimes pose to the liberal world. On the
realpolitik basis by which Bush drew the dispute,
we should have continued the way the UN insisted.
On what actually justifies the war, according to
the author, the US failed totally to explain it
or make it part of our policy or motivate our
allies on the basis of it. Past diplomatic
failures with Saddam are irrelevant at this point.
US diplomatic failures vis-a-vis the rest of the
world are important.

>I can't agree with the conclusion that the world is more dangerous that it
>would have been. ..

The author is not talking vis-a-vis not fighting
Iraq, but vis-a-vis fighting with more allies for
a more clear cause that has broader implications.

>Inifinite is a really big number, Russell

I would never have chosen that wording.