[SPORK] Something I REALLY want John Hall to Try To Understand

johnhall johnhall@isomedia.com
Sat, 22 Mar 2003 12:17:28 -0800

> From: fork-admin@xent.com [mailto:fork-admin@xent.com] On Behalf Of
Jeff
> Bone

> No obligation.
>
> Inaction does not put the responsibility for Saddam's atrocities in
our
> laps.  If you believe otherwise, then we must also be to blame for
> *everything* evil in the world.
>
> You can sign up for that.  I do not.

But Jeff, you just screamed bloody murder when I made the same argument.

The US doesn't have an _obligation_ to end atrocities.

But we are morally entitled to do so.

Not doing the morally right thing when we can, when the cost compared to
the benefit is reasonable, and when it is in our national interest  ==>
_that_ is an abdication of moral responsibility.

It isn't required to get youself killed to try (unsuccessfully) to
prevent the murder of a child.

Not doing so when you can do it at a relatively small convenience is
another thing entirely.  At that point you _do_ incur a moral obligation
to intervene.