Was British rule bad or good for India? (was: The rhetoric of liberation...)

johnhall johnhall@isomedia.com
Sat, 22 Mar 2003 16:50:57 -0800

> From: fork-admin@xent.com [mailto:fork-admin@xent.com] On Behalf Of
Hokkun
> Pang
>
> I was referring to Gandhi's fame as founder of independent India.

That isn't why he remains famous outside of India.  Without the
non-violence angle, few would know the name.

> Since historical consequence is impossible to predict, therefore there
is
> no clear cause and effect relationship between the Britain rule and
the
> Indian modernity. So when speak of the good/bad of the British rule,
why
> can't we use intent as a criteria?

It isn't that it is impossible to predict or deduce, it is that you
don't have the level of certainty you do in physics.

Let us assume all the British intentions were evil and all the Communist
intentions in China were divinely inspired.

Given a choice, few rational people would prefer to suffer under Chinese
good intentions.