S & A in progress i.e., people burning alive right now, people being crushed to death right now

James Rogers jamesr@best.com
Sat, 22 Mar 2003 21:48:50 -0800

On 3/22/03 7:42 PM, "JS Kelly" <jskelly@jskelly.com> wrote:

> so what makes you believe that the outcome in iraq will be any different?
> we are already suffering from ussr syndrome in afghanistan. vietnam was
> waffly and half-assed, gulf war i was waffly and half-assed, and gulf war
> ii promises to be waffly and half-assed as well. sis boom bah, go america,
> wave flags and all that.

I don't know that the Iraq war will turn out any different.  Maybe it will,
maybe it won't.  But I think the odds are higher than usual that we will
actually fully execute this campaign.

Bush doesn't just drink the Koolaid, he pretty much baths in it.  It is the
way his psychology works.  Whereas most politicians are cynical
opportunists, Bush-43 seems to actual believe his positions for better or
worse.  As a result, it is within his character to "stay the course" even
when it is unpopular or inconvenient, unlike most politicians.  Couple this
with the fact that he *is* a pretty competent manager and knows to delegate
effectively, and you have an administration that will end up doing quite a
bit more than the usual political window dressing.

This is a double-edged sword for sure.  With a person like this in office,
the odds of having one of your oxen gored goes up significantly no matter
who you are.  The argument boils down to whether you want a government that
actually fully executes its issue du jour or merely makes noise and then
sweeps it under the rug (the same money being spent either way in most
cases).  Bush has certainly managed to mangle certain issues dear to my
heart, but for the same reasons I expect him to follow through on the Iraq
issue.

I'm torn as to whether or not I want politicians to actually do things (and
go against my interest more often than not, whether Democrat or Republican)
and at least spend my tax money in a vaguely effective manner, or to put on
the usual dog-and-pony show that doesn't impact me as much but which is an
monumental waste of my money.  Both ways impact me negatively, just in
different ways.  Of course, if you had politicians that do things that
actually represent my interest it wouldn't be a problem.

Hell, I think half the reason people fear him is that he *is* a politician
that actually executes on his belief rather than the usual grandstanding.
That can seriously impact the nice comfy glacial pace of change in the
world.  Of course, all hell can break loose as a result too.

Cheers,

-James Rogers
 jamesr@best.com