S & A in progress i.e., people burning alive right now, people being crushed to death right now

James Rogers jamesr@best.com
Sun, 23 Mar 2003 14:20:05 -0800

On 3/23/03 11:11 AM, "JS Kelly" <jskelly@jskelly.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 22 Mar 2003, James Rogers wrote:
>> There was a huge opportunity to do a great deal of good in that part of the
>> world during that time, and to greatly alter the fortunes of that region.
>> Unfortunately, the politicians wasted any value that the US could have given
>> the region.
>
> hmn. sounds a lot like today!

There are some similarities, though obviously the outcome is unknown at this
point.

>> American involvement was essentially a footnote in that conflict;
>
> that's one hell of a footnote

Yes, but a footnote it still is.  Even the Vietnamese communists don't view
the US as a real enemy; we were more like an annoying neighbor involving
ourselves in a family dispute.  The feud between the Chinese and Vietnamese
goes *way* back.  We view ourselves more heroically in our involvement than
the Vietnamese do.  That said, there is still some appreciation for our
efforts against the communists by the people on the other side of that
conflict.  The communists were not nice people regardless.

> would that be the hollywood that is run by jews, or the hollywood that's
> run by communists? or maybe they are the same -- forgive me, i'm a bit
> rusty on my cold-war-era jingoism.

You have a reading comprehension problem.  I neither stated nor implied any
of what you apparently read.

It was Hollywood and popular culture that turned Vietnam into an epic
American saga.  It didn't have anything to do with us.  Only in the minds of
the popular media were we the center of attention there.

>> Point of Curiosity:  I just heard from what is essentially a first-hand
>> source that the Vietnamese government is paying people 10-lb bags of rice
>> for attending anti-war/anti-Bush protests.  Not surprising though.  Iraq is
>> the single biggest importer of Vietnamese rice, and one of their most
>> important trade partners.  If you can't sell it to Iraq, I guess you might
>> as well give it to protestors.
>
> and deflect debate by introducing off-topic unsubstantiated rumors. and
> linking anti-war protests to communists. news flash: the cold war is over.

It depends on what you mean by "unsubstantiated".  This information comes
from a phone call to a government official in Hanoi made from my house
yesterday (by my girlfriend's father, just to clear up any confusion).  If
Iraq stops or reduces its importation of Vietnamese rice, it would do a lot
of damage to Vietnam's trade economy as that is a significant percentage of
their total trade.  It is in Vietnam's self interest to keep the existing
regime in power.  It is what governments do.

Cheers,

-James Rogers
 jamesr@best.com