Was British rule bad or good for India? (was: The rhetoric of liberation...)

Hokkun Pang hkp@attbi.com
Sun, 23 Mar 2003 16:41:53 -0800

Well, do we even have a 51% certainty that British rule was a better outcome
for India?

> It isn't that it is impossible to predict or deduce, it is that you
> don't have the level of certainty you do in physics.

For someone who lived through the Cultural Revolution and died shortly
afterward, I certainly think he would agree that Communism was a bad choice.
For someone who was born after the Cultural Revolution and only witnessed
the recent economic reform, I think he would say the current regime is
performing miracles.

Now, are you saying that a rational  person would be happier and more
satisfied to live in India from 1893-1947 under British rule rather than
China from 1949 to 2003 under Communist rule? Lets say we ignore the
material aspects because of the time difference.