CORK: Wal-Mart Opens First 'All You Can Live' Township

Joseph S Barrera III joe@barrera.org
Sun, 23 Mar 2003 18:34:36 -0800

Consumer-related FORK.
For more consumer-related news,
subscribe to futurefeedforward
(see info at bottom)

- Joe

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Wal-Mart Opens First 'All You Can Live' Township
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2020 18:27:44 -0700 (MST)
From: futurefeedforward <fff@futurefeedforward.com>
To: joe@barrera.org

March 11, 2020

Wal-Mart Opens First 'All You Can Live' Township

WALTON, OH--Officials of the Wal-Mart Corporation
announced Thursday the opening of Walton Township, a
company designed and managed subdivision on the outskirts
of Cleveland, Ohio.  Walton, the first of three Wal-Mart
communities scheduled to open this year, introduces
residents to the company's new 'all you can live' consumer
goods subscription service.  "Beyond its quality
environment and top-notch municipal services, Walton
represents our first serious foray into flat-fee
provision of consumer products," explains Michael
Elmoere, Wal-Mart VP of Intra-Regional Logistics and
First Regent of Walton Township.  "It's a 21st century
horn-of-plenty, all for one no-fuss monthly fee."

Taking advantage of the company's superior purchasing
power and its much-vaunted just-in-time inventory
management systems, Walton guarantees its residents a
literally bottomless supply of the staple consumer goods
with which Wal-Mart is commonly associated.  "As much
Windex as you want," boasts Elmoere.  "As many Cheetos and
Glad garbage bags.  Imagine, every need satisfied."  And the
company is willing to stand behind its promises,
integrating a '100% availability guarantee' covering
more than 1,200 common household goods into Walton's town
charter.  "If it's in the charter, and it's not available,
we'll pay you the cost of a replacement good, plus 10%.
Guaranteed."

Walton Township's initial phase, designed by the Arkansas
firm Furst + Femble-Grieg, includes 118 ranch-style
single-family dwellings arranged on meandering,
pedestrian-friendly avenues radiating from a central
town hall and distribution center.  "The key to Walton is a
literal superimposition of municipal and retail
channels," notes Valerie Femble-Grieg, a principal of the
firm.  "Our goal was to achieve a resonant harmony between
the traditional idiom of the town center and the particular
expertise of Wal-Mart in designing distribution
networks.  The Walton town center is a great central hearth,
a hearth of great bounty."

In an effort to control 'leakage,' the export of flat-fee
goods outside the Township by community subscribers,
Wal-Mart plans to institute a pervasive inventory control
system consisting of miniature radio-frequency tags
broadcasting unique product and batch ID numbers.  "We
accept that we cannot control leakage absolutely, but,
frankly, our focus research indicates that it may be less of
a problem than most expect," explains Elmoere.  "Most of the
problem is solved by allocating 'guest-minutes' to each of
the residents for friends and family.  The real goal is less
total inventory awareness than designing a subscription
service that satisfies people's real needs."

Reaction to the Township in the retail community has been
mixed.  "It is a daring concept," admits Loki Jonones,
Merchandising Director at Federated Lifestyle
Enterprises.  "But it doesn't make sense at all price
points, at all levels in the value chain."

Elmoere reports that the results of initial marketing
efforts have surpassed the company's modest
expectations.  "This is a radical new pricing structure for
us," admits Elmoere.  "And, frankly, we expected initial
response to be slow as consumers digested the
possibilities.  But Walton is currently over-subscribed,
and we've got 14 families scheduled for move-in this week."

This futurefeedforward story was sent to you as a subscriber
to futurefeedforward.

For a history of the future, see our timeline at
http://futurefeedforward.com/timeline.php

For an archive of our stories, see
http://futurefeedforward.com/archive.php

If you would like to be removed from this list, see
http://futurefeedforward.com/unsubscribe.php

Seems like another day I could fly
Into the Eye of God on high