Faith and TV dinners (was: DETOUR)

Russell Turpin deafbox@hotmail.com
Mon, 24 Mar 2003 13:50:31 +0000

John Hall:
>I also have secular reasons for believing I'm likely to be better off
>surrounded by a society where faith is common if not necessarily 'intense'.

Faith is common in all societies. It's part
of our biology. Children of necessity learn
many things before they become capable of
reasoning about them, and figuring out what
portion they have been fed is crap, what
portion is gold, and what is some mixture in
between. Most never really get to the point
where they dissect, analyze, and reason about
what they hold most dear.

Faith is least in societies where education
is strongest. It is not remarkable that six
out of seven in the US believe in a god.
It's remarkable that one out of seven don't.

>I _am_ 1/4 through a guided reading program that covers the Bible.

If it's like most religious programs, you
won't learn much about the Bible or the history
behind it. You won't read a single gospel that
isn't canonical. You won't learn about a single
Jewish would-be messiah except the Christian one.
You won't learn which part of the Old Testament
was not originally written in Hebrew. Instead,
you'll get a range of religious interpretation
of selected parts of the Bible. "Guided reading"
is a good term for it. If you actually want to
learn something more than the pre-selected,
pre-processed, pre-packaged market offering,
the teacher won't be able to help you, because
he doesn't know much about the Bible either,
except how to serve it on foil or chinelle.
When it comes to religion, most people have
eaten the same TV dinner their whole lives. If
theirs is Tyson, they think it adventurous to
sometimes try Healthy Choice. When they want to
learn more about food, they turn to a "guided
reading" program that tells them how to read
the label and work the microwave themselves.