Beethoven (was: DETOUR: Re: Oil Price Effects ..)

Joseph S Barrera III joe@barrera.org
Mon, 24 Mar 2003 06:08:24 -0800

Russell Turpin wrote:
> Geege, it's not just that Beethoven is too late
> to be Baroque, but that he, perhaps more than
> any other composer, characterizes what musicians
> mean by "classical." Vivaldi is baroque,
> Beethoven classical, van Gogh impressionist,
> Dali surreal. It's not just WHEN they worked,

Beethoven was transitional from classical to romantic.
Haydn and Mozart, more than Beethoven, represent
what musicians mean by  "classical". Van Gogh was
post-impressionist, transitional to expressionism.

I see you know as much about music and painting
as you do about religious eduction. Namely,
enough to spout off and misinform others, and
almost sound like you know what you're talking about.

- Joe
--
Seems like another day I could fly
Into the Eye of God on high