[SPORK] Gordon, please help us out, here...

Jeff Bone jbone@deepfile.com
Mon, 24 Mar 2003 09:55:39 -0600

On Monday, Mar 24, 2003, at 01:54 US/Central, Gordon Mohr wrote:

> Name these nations which explicitly "oppose" (rather than simply
> decline to endorse) our action.

Nope.  If "inaction" is the same as supporting SH in the viewpoint of
some, then I think it's entirely fair to play the same false dichotomy
game and say that if you're not a part of the "Coalition of the
Willing" then you oppose it.

;-)

More usefully, though:  we set the bar so low diplomatically for
signing onto our coalition that even *Eritrea* is in.  Clearly, there's
no cost at all to signing up --- it's a coalition of endorsement more
than anything else --- and much to be gained in terms of U.S. goodwill,
etc.  So, then, it's not a stretch to conclude that those who have not
signed up chose not to do so because they do not care to endorse the
action.  Probably not universally true but probably more generally true
than not.

>> (9)  How should we - American individuals - react in order to enable
>> the best outcome, at this point?
>
> For now, let the military do its job. Support the war. Wait for more
> information to see if other adjustments are necessary.

Hmm.

Well, thanks for going on record, it certainly clarifies your position.

You say "let the military do its job" --- well, clearly nobody on this
list is in any way interfering with the military doing its job;  I
assume you really mean "shut up w/ the dissent?"  In which case, I
don't think I will --- given that I couldn't agree less with you on
points 4-8.

But thanks for your POV.

jb