Western Musical Micro-Bestiary

geege geege@barrera.org
Mon, 24 Mar 2003 12:43:58 -0800

which is not to say beethoven had no baroque compositions or compositions
with barroque influence - in other words, the intersect between beethoven
and baroque is not the null set.

you might enjoy this:

http://www.pirkle-websites.com/cmcdg.htm

-----Original Message-----
From: fork-admin@xent.com [mailto:fork-admin@xent.com]On Behalf Of R. A.
Hettinga
Sent: Monday, March 24, 2003 7:58 AM
To: fork@xent.com
Cc: Clippable
Subject: Western Musical Micro-Bestiary

At 12:47 PM +0000 on 3/24/03, Russell Turpin wrote:

> Beethoven classical,

Actually, Beethoven started out classical, and, some would say,
singlehandedly founded the Romantic movement.

Example composers, as I remember being taught in my 1976 high-school music
composition classes, and with not inconsiderably fuzziness, and included
border cases:

(received opinion)
Baroque: Vivaldi/Bach
Classical: Handel/Haydn/Mozart/Beethoven
Romantic: Later Beethoven (5th and later)
           /Chopin/Brahms/Shuman/Schubert/Tchaikovsky/
           Wagner/all three Straus(es)/
           Mahler/(Rossini/Puccini/Verde)/Liszt/Scriabin
Impressionist: Ravel/Satie/Debussy/Stravinsky
Modern: Later Stravinsky/Ives/Schoenberg

(my own guess, since 1976 :-))
Post-Modern: Stackhausen/Glass
Minimalist: later Glass/most new music that sounds listenable :-),
             Laurie Anderson(?)

Cheers,
RAH
--