[SPORK?] The Rise of the Reporters

Jeff Bone jbone@deepfile.com
Tue, 25 Mar 2003 00:45:59 -0600

It's been evident (IMHO) for a long time that the "big story" of the
90s wasn't computers, or the Web, or buddy lists, or cell phones, or
PDAs, or blogs, or any of the stuff us pure geeks probably immediately
think of.  Some of those stories might be the big stories of this
decade --- but the effects of all of the above, really, on a global
scale, were in the 90s wildly overstated.

The big story of the 90s went largely unreported --- because news
itself isn't usually news.  Seems to me that the big story of the 90s
was the meteoric rise in global importance of television news networks
in shaping world opinion, shaping the course of world events, and
making the conduct of international relations a real-time endeavor.
And of course, CNN really started this and came of age in the crucible
of Baghdad '91.  To an even greater extent, global media is coming of
age in this current conflict.

This whole "embedding" thing has me totally fascinated.  I heard a top
Pentagon official on one of the networks a night or two ago talking
about how they get real-time battle intel from these networks more
often than through the chain of command.  And the embedding thing isn't
just our reporters:  I'm watching Aaron Brown on CNN talking to
reporters from many countries and outlets --- including Muslim media
and *France* --- that are embedded with our forces.  (FWIW, the Arabic
news networks have forces embedded w/ Iraqi forces, too.  Ironically,
the viewers of Al Jazeera and some of the other 9 or so similar
networks *potentially* have better access to more balanced information
than we do.)

Real-time, largely non-partisan (face it, most at least try for some
level of objectivity, though they succeed to degrees according to
different agendas;  but in general their value is diminished to the
extent that they editorialize and spin the bitstream) private sector
intelligence agencies.

And they've become almost sacrosanct --- they go everywhere, see
everything, say whatever, and are pretty much untouched and unhindered
by the national collective organisms and interests they operate within.
  Bizarre.

Truly fascinating.  Powerful force for good.  Powerful force for evil.
Suspicion warranted, but I can't help but feel kind of awed.  A
30-minute scan of CNN, Fox, etc. today --- supplemented with broad
reading of international online newspapers to triangulate and balance
--- probably gives any one of us access to more information of equal or
superior quality than the information that intelligence officers in
this or any other country had from a year's intelligence gathering two
decades ago.  We're more immediately and better informed more than the
guys that made global policy during our parents' era.

Wow.  Go CNN, et. al.  ;-)

jb