[s-t] pozzo considers a dish of crow (fwd)

Eugen Leitl eugen@leitl.org
Tue, 25 Mar 2003 10:38:44 +0100 (CET)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2003 20:33:21 -0500
From: david mankins <dm@bbn.com>
Subject: [s-t] pozzo considers a dish of crow

I think I spoke too soon when I called this a ``different kind of
war''.  I should know better than to think there are technical fixes
to political problems....

http://www.salon.com/opinion/feature/2003/03/24/world24/index.html

		[I encourage you all to go out and get a subscription to
		 _Salon_ because it's an excellent journal with
		 consistently intelligent pieces.  Oh, some of you
		 won't want one, but as for the rest of
		 you... ---pozzo]

	United Kingdom, Robert Fisk in the Independent

	Let's forget, for a moment, the cheap propaganda of the regime
	and the equally cheap moralizing of Messrs Rumsfeld and Bush,
	and take a trip around the Al-Mustansaniya College
	Hospital. For the reality of war is ultimately not about
	military victory and defeat, or the lies about "coalition
	forces" which our "embedded" journalists are now peddling
	about an invasion involving only the Americans, the British
	and a handful of Australians. War, even when it has
	international legitimacy which this war does not is primarily
	about suffering.

	Take 50-year-old Amel Hassan, a peasant woman with tattoos on
	her arms and legs but who now lies on her hospital bed with
	massive purple bruises on her shoulders they are now twice
	their original size who was on her way to visit her daughter
	when the first American missile struck Baghdad. "I was just
	getting out of the taxi when there was a big explosion and I
	fell down and found my blood everywhere," she told me. "It was
	on my arms, my legs, my chest." Amel Hassan still has multiple
	shrapnel wounds in her chest. Her five-year-old daughter Wahed
	lies in the next bed, whimpering with pain. She had climbed
	out of the taxi first and was almost at her aunt's front door
	when the explosion cut her down. Her feet are still bleeding
	although the blood has clotted around her toes and is
	staunched by the bandages on her ankles and lower legs. Two
	little boys are in the next room. Sade Selim is 11; his
	brother Omar is 14. Both have shrapnel wounds to their legs
	and chest.

	Isra Riad is in the third room with almost identical injuries,
	in her case shrapnel wounds to the legs as she ran in terror
	from her house into her garden as the blitz began. Imam Ali is
	23 and has multiple shrapnel wounds in her abdomen and lower
	bowel. Najla Hussein Abbas still tries to cover her head with
	a black scarf but she cannot hide the purple wounds to her
	legs. Multiple shrapnel wounds. After a while, "multiple
	shrapnel wounds" sounds like a natural disease which, I
	suppose among a people who have suffered more than 20 years of
	war it is.

	And all this, I asked myself yesterday, was all this for 11
	September 2001? All this was to "strike back" at our
	attackers, albeit that Doha Suheil, Wahed Hassan and Imam Ali
	have nothing absolutely nothing to do with those crimes
	against humanity, any more than has the awful Saddam? Who
	decided, I wonder, that these children, these young women,
	should suffer for 9/11?

	Wars repeat themselves. Always, when "we" come to visit those
	we have bombed, we have the same question. In Libya in 1986, I
	remember how American reporters would repeatedly
	cross-question the wounded: had they perhaps been hit by
	shrapnel from their own anti-aircraft fire?  Again, in 1991,
	"we" asked the Iraqi wounded the same question. And yesterday,
	a doctor found himself asked by a British radio reporter --
	yes, you've guessed it -- "Do you think, doctor, that some of
	these people could have been hit by Iraqi anti-aircraft fire?"

	It is the same old story. If we make war -- however much we
	blather on about our care for civilians -- we are going to
	kill and maim the innocent.

- david mankins (dm@bbn.com, dm@world.std.com)