[SPORK] The Sum of all Fears: Reaction of the Muslim "Street"

JS Kelly jskelly@jskelly.com
Tue, 25 Mar 2003 11:23:25 -0800 (PST)

On Tue, 25 Mar 2003, Jeff Bone wrote:

> Gulf War '91 --> 9/11.

i think that's an oversimplification. *if* osama bin laden was behind the
9/11 attacks (i suppose he was -- but i don't recall *definitive* proof
ever being offered to that effect -- nor do i recall hearing that he had
taken credit for it?)

in any case, everyone assumes that he was, so let's go ahead and assume
that it is quite likely. in his "letter to america" which was posted here
some days or weeks ago:

http://www.observer.co.uk/Print/0,3858,4552895,00.html

he has a lot to say about "why." among the reasons why, he cites things
like:

 * we produce, sell and drink alcohol
 * fornication and homosexuality
 * gambling
 * using women as sex objects

a very fundamentalist view -- interesting to note that a lot of
fundamentalist christians would have the same laundry list. but we have to
remember that the majority of people -- neither here nor in the mideast --
are fundamentalists.

but in addition to those (and others) he also cites these grievances:

 * palestinian policy
 * support of israel
 * somalia
 * support for russia in chechen crisis
 * indian oppression in kashmir
 * lebanon
 * sanctions against iraq
 * support for corrupt/oppressive governments in the mideast
 * algeria
 * afghanistan (1980-1989 war + current one)

the only possible reference i see to gulf war i is here:

(d)As for the war criminals which you censure and form criminal courts for
- you shamelessly ask that your own are granted immunity!! However,
history will not forget the war crimes that you committed against the
Muslims and the rest of the world; those you have killed in Japan,
Afghanistan, Somalia, Lebanon and Iraq will remain a shame that you will
never be able to escape. It will suffice to remind you of your latest war
crimes in Afghanistan, in which densely populated innocent civilian
villages were destroyed, bombs were dropped on mosques causing the roof of
the mosque to come crashing down on the heads of the Muslims praying
inside. You are the ones who broke the agreement with the Mujahideen when
they left Qunduz, bombing them in Jangi fort, and killing more than 1,000
of your prisoners through suffocation and thirst. Allah alone knows how
many people have died by torture at the hands of you and your agents. Your
planes remain in the Afghan skies, looking for anyone remotely suspicious.

with the mention of 'iraqi dead.' the only other references to iraq in the
letter are to the effects of sanctions -- and so it seems more likely that
these 'iraqi dead' he is talking about in this paragraph are those who
died as a result of un sanctions, rather than in gulf war i.

basically what i am trying to say is that i think that 9/11 is just a
whole lot more complicated than gulf war i --> 9/11.

particularly, our role in the afghan war of 1980-1989 should be examined.
it was during that conflict that we gave osama -- then a CIA recruit of
ours -- lots of money and training to help him help the afghanis fight the
ussr. apparently a lot of the terrorist training camps in the
afghan-pakistani border area are former cia training camps. also
apparently, our abandonment of the afghanis after the ussr withdrawal did
a lot to shape osama as we know him today. i don't think it is possible to
do a 1:1 rleationship wrt to 9/11 -- but if it helps anyone sort through
things, the 1:1 relationship i would draw would be afghanistan 1980-1989 +
aftermath --> 9/11.

i also recommend this article:

http://www.msnbc.com/news/190144.asp

it's from that most leftist of all liberal media sources, msnbc.

-jsk

ps it is interesting to note that some 2/3 of americans surveyed believe
most of the 9/11 hijackers were iraqis. in fact most of them were -- as
osama is -- saudis. the saudis are one of our biggest allies in the
region. another interesting note is that idi amin is enjoying his
"retirement" in saudi arabia. but of course "that's of no consequence"