Rights and fear.

Eugen Leitl eugen@leitl.org
Tue, 25 Mar 2003 20:43:27 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 25 Mar 2003, Jeff Bone wrote:

> Gene:  given the full spectrum of existential risk (including, for
> example, vacuum state collapse) do you really think the universe agrees
> with your point?  Is it possible for any thinking being, fully aware of

Point? Which point? Somebody made a point? Taco BOING!

Oh. Sorry. Fear is an emotion is a resource allocator metric in action
planning so I don't see agents ever losing emotions in an evolutionary
theatre. But then, I haven't been there.

> his circumstances, to be free from "fear"?

Hedonistic imperative is not about complete elimination of suffering, just
minimizing it. Only if you could completely sustainably strip evolutionary
regime could you attempt approaching nirvana. Would it be a good thing?