Rights and fear.

Eugen Leitl eugen@leitl.org
Tue, 25 Mar 2003 21:00:52 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 25 Mar 2003, Joseph S Barrera III wrote:

> James Rogers wrote:
> > This is a platitude of the timid and the craven.  No such right exists in
> > any meaningful sense, not even in the sense that most of our individual
> > "rights" (e.g. freedom of expression) exist.

Everything is negotiable. The "rights" stuff is just current consensus,
panta rhei. It seems that iterated interactions of smart agents capable of
recognizing and keeping track of history of past mutual transactions tend
to adapt increasingly more benign cooperation strategies.

At least that's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

> This is another good launching point for discussion.
>
> In what sense does freedom of expression exist?

What's the Gibsonism, consensual hallucination?

> It certainly is not a scientific construct.
> Why should anyone (esp. atheists) believe in
> an innate freedom of expression?

Because it's a good idear. If your communication channel is filtered it's
kinda cramping your style.