[BITS] Internet terminals turn library into porn shop. Librarians sue.

Tom tomwhore@slack.net
Tue, 25 Mar 2003 18:42:15 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 25 Mar 2003, Joseph S Barrera III wrote:

--]Public libraries in big cities really
--]seem to attract the freaks...

They are open public places with lots of resources. THey not only have
lots to read, they are warm, usualy have bathrooms, there are lots of
people to talk to and if your of a particular bent there is ample projects
to be done.

I spent many a year in the NYC library system as a kid. I got to see many
aspects of humanity as I crawled the stacks getting the real education, as
in not foudn in the school I was goign to at the time.

During my tough years in the city, those being when I was out of school,
not hanging around colege computer labs where my friends were going,
not working  and so short on cash I would have had to climb 20 stories to
smooch abe licoln on a tails up penny, I used te NYC library system both
as hang out, research center, pickup central and other nefarious
activities....(ah the pay phones ...yes I was one handed dialing with the
other hand clutching.....a tatered copy of 2600 or before that print outs
of philez)

Memmories...

Anyway this is just one reason why I alwasy vote yes on any library
initiatives here in oregon. I want my kids to have the options I had.

-tomwsmf