Atheists and freedom of speech (was: Rights and fear.)

Joseph S Barrera III joe@barrera.org
Tue, 25 Mar 2003 19:19:33 -0800

johnhall wrote:
> The troublesome word might be 'innate'.

Yep.

What confuses me is that you'll hear someone claim that
"all people have the right to xxx", and yet that person
claims to be a moral relativist. In which sense they are
drawing on an authority by using the word "right" which
they don't actually believe in.

Of course, just saying "all people should have xxx" doesn't
sound nearly as powerful. But it's more honest when spoken
by a moral relativist.

- Joe

P.S. I've really enjoyed the discussions on this list
recently. I think this list is in one of its better phases.

P.S. As a general note to everyone, there really is no need
to cc: people who are already on the list. Really honestly.