Atheists and freedom of speech (was: Rights and fear.)

Jeff Bone jbone@deepfile.com
Tue, 25 Mar 2003 22:03:07 -0600

On Tuesday, Mar 25, 2003, at 21:19 US/Central, Joseph S Barrera III
wrote:

> johnhall wrote:
>> The troublesome word might be 'innate'.
>
> Yep.
>
> What confuses me is that you'll hear someone claim that
> "all people have the right to xxx", and yet that person
> claims to be a moral relativist. In which sense they are
> drawing on an authority by using the word "right" which
> they don't actually believe in.

Guilty as charged.  Problem is, sometimes people sloppily use the word
"right" when what they really mean is "reasonable expectation."  I fall
into that trap a lot myself...

jb