Atheists and freedom of speech (was: Rights and fear.)

Joseph S Barrera III joe@barrera.org
Tue, 25 Mar 2003 21:39:07 -0800

Russell Turpin wrote:
> Joseph S Barrera III <joe@barrera.org>:
> (2) I'm skeptical of the distinction between
> moral absolutism and moral relativism. I've
> never seen this explained in a way that really
> gives it any potency. Most people who claim to

Wow, there's a lot to discuss in your message.
And it's too late for me to think.
But I guess I would say:

I think people should be moral absolutists for themselves,
while pragmatically realizing that
(a) others have other ideas and you need to get along with them;
(b) you may well be wrong, as evidenced by the fact that
     your sense of right and wrong evolves and changes over
     time, at least if you are a questioning person,
     which you should be.

- Joe