[SPORK] The Fedayeen Threat, also Iraqi People React to Aid, Support Saddam

Jeff Bone jbone@deepfile.com
Wed, 26 Mar 2003 11:14:14 -0600

Iraq Day 6 - Heading for a Worst Case Scenario? Basra is the Key
(Politics)

By harrystottle
Tue Mar 25th, 2003 at 07:24:00 PM EST

Early indications are worrying. Guerrilla tactics are to be expected
and are obviously Saddam's best card. But they've started much further
south and with much greater intensity than UKUSA intelligence
estimated. The smart money was on the South rising up as one to greet
the liberators with open arms. It hasn't happened. Instead we've seen
the first signs of the Fedayeen in action against the UKUSA forces.
This could indicate the beginning of a prolonged urban struggle which
though not as costly as Vietnam in terms of human lives, could tie up
large numbers of UKUSA military not for months but decades. Vietnam it
will not be. Chechnya - it might.

	http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2003/3/25/61611/4343

----

Three trucks of aid from Kuwait have arrived in the southern Iraq
border town of Safwan, greeted by a small group of Iraqi civilians
chanting their support for President Saddam Hussein.

"With our blood we sacrifice ourselves for you Saddam," about 30 people
shouted in unison.

	http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/s817284.htm

----

jb

PS - FWIW, one of the retired top brass guys on CNN or Fox (forget
which) last night stated that the estimated casualties for the whole
war would be 10,000-30,000.  That blew my mind;  I think that's way,
way too high.  My estimate is around 3000;  we'll test that prediction.
  I hope it's on the downside of my number, of course;  10K-30K would be
a huge disaster, 3K "only a mild disaster".  :-/