Making the case (was: Something I REALLY want John Hall to Try To Understand)

Russell Turpin deafbox@hotmail.com
Wed, 26 Mar 2003 17:55:46 +0000

Jeff Bone:
>Elias did NOT say "Saddam must go but military action isn't the way to do
>it." .. Elias said that "The US administration has not, in my opinion, made
>a clear and compelling case for military action and is doing great harm to
>the image of the US in the eyes of the rest of the
>world."

Here's a thought that has occurred to me. (1) To
make this case, the US would have had to do
something new on the modern international stage,
pressing the point that the very nature of a
particular government is so dangerous to other
nations and so oppressive to its people that,
under some conditions, and with some arrangement
for the aftermath, other nations are justified
in toppling it. (2) This is precisely the kind
of international argument and organization that
Bush has opposed almost from his first day in
office.

In short, US failure in this regard was not so
much a matter of diplomatic incompetence (how
could it be?) as much as a matter of policy
committments that inhibited the kind of
diplomatic effort that so much of the rest of
the world and so many internal critics would
have preferred to see.