[SPORK] Something I REALLY want John Hall to Try To Understand

James Rogers jamesr@best.com
Wed, 26 Mar 2003 12:26:10 -0800

Jeff Bone wrote:=20
> This is inaccurate / bad analysis. =20

It is possible.  I don't know all that much about this specific area.

> We supposedly had CIA and special=20
> forces folks in place in Mosul collaborating w/ a top Ba'ath party=20
> official as recently as 2000, then there was a lag, and we've=20
> had folks=20
> in place there again since late last year.  The opportunities=20
> have been=20
> numerous and even recent.  To be fair, though most of the "pull the=20
> plug" decisions have been made by us, in a few cases the insiders got=20
> cold feet.

I've been under the impression for many years that we could never get =
the
commitment and/or successful execution from the Iraqi insiders we were
working with.  Several marked failures that made the DoD dubious that it
could even be done the current conditions being what they are.

Covert collaboration with top Iraqi officials is not a big deal in and =
of
itself.  Where do you think we get our intelligence?  Or have an =
opportunity
to attempt to foment an overthrow?  In that regime, it pretty much has =
come from the inside.

Cheers,

-James Rogers
 jamesr@best.com