fedayeen

James Rogers jamesr@best.com
Wed, 26 Mar 2003 13:41:44 -0800

JS Kelly wrote:
> 7) well so we are offending russia now as well. because "=20
> Moscow has denied that Russian companies have been selling=20
> deadly military equipment to Iraq. "  so i have to say=20
> something about this. it is probably reference to those=20
> anti-tank !!!wire!!!!guided missiles. well let's get real=20
> here. those are ancient devices.

I think most of the objection was in principle, since it violates the =
arms
embargo.  It represents a modest threat at best to the forces in the =
region.
It is possible that the Iraqis acquired more advanced anti-armor systems
from the Russians, but I doubt it.

Note that many wire-guided systems aren't manually guided by the people
firing them.  Most use optical feedback from sensors in the launcher and
send course corrections through the wire as determined by a =
microprocessor.
All this requires is keeping the launcher sighted on the target until =
impact

While I could be mistaken, I think the US phased out most of its =
wire-guided
anti-tank weapons several years ago.  Guided weapons that require active
base units in general are of limited value on a fast and furious =
battlefield
where the attention span of the operator may be insufficient.  It is =
very
possible that some of our mechanized systems could return fire against =
the
base unit before the missile actually hit its target.  I know automated =
fire
return systems have been tested, but I don't know if they are actually
deployed.

Cheers,

-James Rogers
 jamesr@best.com