SARS: coming soon to your town

Joseph S Barrera III joe@barrera.org
Wed, 26 Mar 2003 17:18:45 -0800

Russell Turpin wrote:
> Joseph S Barrera III:
>> Why does this happen?
>
> Because the strain that whacks a person with
> high fever and wracking cough keeps the host
> in bed, where he can infect relatively few
> others. The strain that is mild allows its
> host to walk around infecting many others.
> This creates selective pressure for the disease
> to evolve into a milder form.

Hmm. That sounds right. Of course you also need
the condition that the catching a weaker form
of the disease immunizes you against the stronger
forms. Otherwise the stronger forms would eventually
hit everyone that had already been hit earlier
with the weaker forms.

- Joe
--
We know that: Logic is just a Clever Party Trick.
   And that: Sense-making and Efficiency is the Object of Machines.