Military "swift"

James Rogers jamesr@best.com
Thu, 27 Mar 2003 14:19:34 -0800

> Also, nice tactic of using terms like "pedestrian" to refocus=20
> the spotlight on the listner who sees things differntly than=20
> you as "pedestrian".

"Pedestrian" is a perfectly good word for denoting general usage of a =
word.
Many, many fields of endeavor have their own namespaces that redefine =
the
"pedestrian" meaning of a word.  Try explaining information theory to =
the
"lay person" for a fairly pathological case.  If you are using the wrong
namespace, you'll get the wrong results.  When the man on the street =
says
they have a "fast" Internet connection, are they talking about the =
bandwidth
or the latency?  Many network engineers would say "latency", but very =
few
accountants would.  Different expertise, different dictionaries.

I already have the military namespace embedded in my brain due to being =
in
the army many years ago in a combat unit.  So my understanding of =
military
semantics is not "pedestrian".  My understanding of, say, accounting =
terms
*is* pedestrian.

-James Rogers
 jamesr@best.com