The Philosopher of Islamic Terror

Eirikur Hallgrimsson eh@mad.scientist.com
Thu, 27 Mar 2003 21:46:53 -0500

On Monday 24 March 2003 12:27 pm, R. A. Hettinga wrote:
<http://www.nytimes.com/2003/03/23/magazine/23GURU.html?pagewanted=print&position=top>

I'm late on this, I know.

This is a completely amazing article.   I urge all to read it if you
skipped over the dense prose.  I'm glad the full text was posted for the
archive.

Indeed, Bush cannot wage a war of ideas, and that's a major component
of what's going wrong.   His administration seems to be in the process of
converting the U.S. into what he is nominally opposing.

Can our "free society" elect leaders or find exemplars who can lead from
the front by example?   Who can make the case for secular humanism,
religious tolerance, and the separation of church and state?

Random comment:  The BBC is really blasting Bush today.   No mercy.

Eirikur