[SPORK] The Straight Dope On Military "Swift"

Jeff Bone jbone@deepfile.com
Fri, 28 Mar 2003 01:57:22 -0600

(apologies if this comes twice, mail server config issues tonight...)

Eat truth, James Rogers.  (FWIW, I'm sure you've already seen this;  =20
even FOX News is reporting on it.)

--

Bush Again Vows to Topple Saddam, as US General Predicts Longer War =20
than Expected

	http://www.voanews.com/article.cfm?objectID=3D5F674844-98B1-43D4-=20=

B8E6E071931FBA14

"In Iraq, the U.S. Army's senior ground commander, General William =20
Wallace, told The Washington Post that unconventional tactics of enemy =20=

fighters HAVE INCREASED THE LIKELIHOOD OF A LONGER WAR THAN U.S. =20
PLANNERS HAD EXPECTED.  [my emphasis -jb]  He also said over-extended =20=

allied supply lines and stiffer-than-expected Iraqi resistance have =20
STALLED [again -jb] the U.S. drive toward Baghdad."

--

General: A longer Iraq war is likely

	http://www.msnbc.com/news/891872.asp

"FORWARD OPERATING BASE SHELL, Iraq, March 27 =97  The Army=92s senior =20=

ground commander in Iraq, Lt. Gen. William S. Wallace, said today that =20=

overextended supply lines and a combative adversary using =20
unconventional tactics have stalled the U.S. drive toward Baghdad and =20=

increased the likelihood of a longer war than many strategists had =20
anticipated."

--

Longer war is likely, says US general

	=
http://www.guardian.co.uk/international/story/0,3604,924487,00.html

"Contradicting many of the upbeat assessments from the Pentagon, which =20=

repeatedly insisted Operation Iraqi Freedom was on or ahead of =20
schedule, Lieutenant General William Wallace said his troops had been =20=

taken by surprise by Iraqi irregulars using guerrilla tactics.

"The enemy we're fighting is different from the one we'd war-gamed =20
against," said Lt Gen Wallace, the commander of the US army's V Corps =20=

overseeing ground operations.

When asked whether the resistance would lead to a longer than predicted =20=

war, he said: "It's beginning to look that way."

--

For more, try:

	=
http://news.google.com/news?hl=3Den&q=3DGeneral+William+Wallace+longer