[FoRK] nft meets www

Gregory Alan Bolcer greg at bolcer.org
Tue Jun 15 15:38:37 PDT 2021

https://www.cnn.com/style/article/tim-berners-lee-nft-auction/index.html

Tim Berners-Lee, creator of the World Wide Web, is auctioning off his
invention's source code as an NFT.
Although the groundbreaking code has long been in the public domain, the
British computer scientist has now authorized the sale of a single
edition of his original time-stamped files.
Comprising over 9.500 lines of code, the files contain the basis of the
languages and protocols underpinning the internet as we know it:
Hypertext Transfer Protocol (HTTP), Hypertext Markup Language (HTML) and
Universal Document Identified (URI).
They are being sold alongside an animated visualization of the code and
a digital "poster" that is "signed" by Berners-Lee via a graphic
signature. The winning bidder will also take home a letter, written by
the computer scientist, in which he reflects on the code and its creation.
How NFTs are fueling a digital art boom
"It has been fun to go back and look over the code," the letter reads.
"It is amazing to see the things that those relatively few lines of
code, with (the) help of an amazing growing gang of collaborators across
the planet, stayed enough on track to become what the web is now.
"I have never once felt I could relax and sit back -- as the web was and
is constantly changing," Berners-Lee signs off. "It is not yet the best
it can be: there is always work to be done!"
Although the world's first web page didn't go live until 1991, the birth
of the World Wide Web is usually considered to be 1989, the year that
Berners-Lee submitted a manuscript entitled "Information Management: A
Proposal" at CERN, a particle physics research laboratory in Switzerland.
Initially designed to help scientists collaborate, his invention soon
expanded beyond the academic world. There are now over 4.6 billion
active internet users in the world.