SCO-duggery (code comparison)

Robert S. Thau rst at ai.mit.edu
Wed Aug 20 19:43:14 PDT 2003

Robert S. Thau writes:
 > FWIW, Bruce Perens claims that SCO later released "ancient Unix"
 > (possibly up to v7) was released under a Berkeley license; his writeup
 > of the whole episode, including snapshots of SCO's actual slides, is
 > here:
 >
 >   http://perens.com/Articles/SCOCopiedCode.html

More complete version now available here:

  http://www.perens.com/SCO/SCOSlideShow.html

This covers SCO's entire slide show (not just the two slides shown in
snapshots from Heise).  It turns out that the other samples shown are
from the Berkeley Packet Filter, which was itself originally open
source -- though as it happens the Linux implementation was redone
from the spec anyway.

It's pretty clear at this point that SCO is not doing anything to
verify that they have title to all of the copied "Unix code" before
crowing all over creation; unless they're holding something much
better up their sleeves, it's conceivable that someone may have
grounds to sue for negligence or fraud.

You know, I used to respect David Boies...

rst