Everything can be intellectual property

daniel grisinger daniel at netgods.net
Thu Aug 21 10:01:40 PDT 2003

Well, yes.  That is certainly the desired result.

The thing that is interesting to me is the tactical decision
to argue this on the basis of IP infringement.  Buffett
is no fool, he recognizes that our present IP regime
is sliding toward granting unlimited rights to those who
can argue to hold title to any sort of IP.

But this is the stuff of which backlashes are made.  The
general public may be willing to allow Disney to claim
title to our cultural heritage, they are going to be less
sanguine about arguments that they cannot do things that
rich people do because rich people own the rights to those
actions.  (Or perhaps that rich people own the rights to
the idea of taking those actions;  I'm not sure, and the
entire line of argument being proffered by Buffett makes
very little sense to me.)